Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thing 15 - The Future of Libraries

Technology is updated everday, so it's only reasonable to think that this evolving technology will be part of education from now on. As librarians, it is our responsibility to keep up with the trends in order to make learning fun and innovative for our students. I would like to think that this will not mean students won't be drawn to books. Every child loves to be read to--if children are read to, they will grow up to be readers. As a reader, I like reading interesting facts and looking up things on the web, but nothing compares to sitting down and getting lost in a good book. Yes, technology will be part of the library, but I don't think that the need for books will be obsolete.
The video, "A Vision of Students Today", really hit me hard. I was kind of sad to think that this is the way it really is for students today. With all of the electronic devices they grow up with (video games, iPods, iPhones, dvd players) they expect EVERYTHING to be technology based. Who wants to learn off a chalkboard? I can't even remember the last time I saw one in a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment